Friday, June 4, 2010

Welcome and Introductions

I am a 20 year-old Bible College student living in Canada. The purpose of this blog is for me to talk about what is happening in various areas that are of interest to me, such as the Christian faith and the video and computer gaming industry, as well as other things that I take interest in as I go about my daily activities.

Starting in September I will be taking the third year of my Bachelor of Theology program. As a theology student, I have found myself drawn to biblical and theological studies from all the course I have taken. I have also felt a strong call towards women's rights and equal opportunity for women in all church leadership positions. The more I study, the more I feel God drawing me to these three areas simultaneously, as well as maturing my personal and professional convictions. God is also developing my theology, or causing me to own my theology.

Owning one's theology is something that is important and goes beyond personal Bible study. Theology is really the study of or talking about God. Owning one's theology is knowing what you believe about God, the universe, the doctrines of the religion they follow, and being able to articulate it. It even includes whether you believe there is a God or not. Therefore, even atheists and agnostics have their own theology. Because I am a Christian, owning my theology means knowing and being able to articulate my beliefs about God, Jesus Christ, the Church, and other various teachings about Jesus. Not only a large part of my academic studies, it is also a part of my world view. I find that the study of theology also enhances the study and memorization of Scripture because not only is the Word of God imprinted in my mind, but I also better understand what I am reading.

I am also a video and computer game player, aka a gamer. I have been playing electronic games since I was 10 years old when I received my first Gameboy Colour with a Pokemon Yellow Gameboy Colour Cartridge. I play a variety of video games from Role Playing Games (RPG) to Real Time Strategy (RTS), and many other genres in between. I am also able to play on a variety of consoles, but my two main ones are Nintendo DS and PC (Personal Computer). My favourite video games to play are Star Wars, Pokemon, Sid Meier's Civilization; but I am very flexible and can work my way around anything with a controller/mouse and keyboard. When I am not playing video games, I am learning about the industry. Currently I follow IGN, Game Spot, Electric Playground, and Reviews on the Run. I also follow PC Gamer magazines and Nintendo Powerhouse. Some times if a magazine has a video game character on the front cover or talks about the latest console, I will gravitate towards it.

One thing that makes me stand out from the crowd when it comes to gaming is that I am one of the very few female gamers who does not play the stereotypical feminine video games. I will never be a girlie-girl and I will always proudly choose Supreme Commander over Hannah Montanna. Along with discussing theological and Church issues I will be talking about the video game industry in this blog.

Finally, I will also be discussing issues in Christian media. I have found the Christian media industry to be struggling these days with providing products to followers of the Christian faith that are "as good" as the secularized counterparts. So, I will be talking a lot about that too. I will also review some of the Christian attempts at making Christian-based and Bible-based video games, computer games, and online games. Yes, they are out there. Some of them are worth playing and others fall flat.

So, this is the plan for the blog. I hope all of my readers will enjoy it and I look forward to posting again soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment